Every time I say the name of the place, I want to start the old Three Stooges routine: step by step, inch by inch…which is actually kind of appropriate.
So Sunscreen West was great fun. Thanks to Howard Allen–the Script Doctor himself–and the other wonderful folks associated with the Contest of Contest Winners for many mind-expanding moments.
Important first impressions:
- If “Beach” is in the name of a town, don’t overdress.
- The wearing of multiple hats is normal in this business.
- People like talking about their projects the same way they do about their kids. Which makes a lot of sense. A lot of sense.
- There’s a cool little farmers’ market with organic produce between the Holiday Inn Express and the Hermosa Beach Community Center on Fridays.
- They moved the “Publish” button on WordPress recently. 😛
- It’s really easy to spend a lot of time sitting in an outdoor cafe when the weather is stupidly nice. Wait, I knew that already.
- Surf shops do not have Big and Tall sections.
- People make really, really slick short films these days.
At any rate, more on this whole process to come as it comes. But I could definitely get used to talking about film from an insider’s perspective. With or without the beach.